Monday, February 1, 2010

Ignorance.

At the moment I've just finished watching the Tyra Banks show. She has just done a special on gay marriage. I am agnostic and personally believe that marriage is a Christain based value. On which I don't ever intend on celebrating. Although my problem is with the law is the copious amounts of rights that go with being married.

Imagine you were at your death bed in hospital. Written in law is that blood relatives and married partners can assist in decisions that effect your health. What if your same sex partner of 20 years couldn't be part of that because a little hitch that you couldn't legally be married. In New Zealand we have civil unions which I completely support. But what frustrates me is a lot is places this isn't the case. In California the law for gay people to be married was passed. Then taken away again. In my opinion this is taking away civil rights. Loving someone so much you want to spend the rest of your life with them shouldn't matter on the gender. Giving someone a right so strong and celebrated as this one and then take it away is disgusting. The government wouldn't do this to straight people so why gay people? It's just hideous discrimination. Which a lot of people are always going to feel because of societies pressures and traditional Christian values that brain wash people.

A woman said on the Tyra show 'Being gay is a choice, You can't stop being black but you can stop being gay' when asked if the civil rights issues were similar to those fort for many years ago. I wasn't shocked at this remark when I've known people who have said similar things to me. I'm bisexual so my opinion is stronger on this issue. Not being 'straight' isn't a choice that you can choose and NO Dad it's not a phase. I've had my own fair share of trouble on trying to be accepted and I know i'm not the only one. But to say it's a choice it's not. I didn't wake up one day and decide 'oh I won't be straight today, I've decided i'm going to be discriminated against by religious and homophobic people'. It doesn't work that way. It's hard enough accepting yourself as not being straight when your own mother tells you it makes her feel sick, it hurts.

When I was younger around 14 I started thinking about things that I have been told in my life is wrong. These things were thoughts surrounding women and how I was seeing people I have meet as more than potential friends. After many nights of thinking and getting upset and frustrated I came to realize that I wasn't wrong and I was still me. I was helped to this realization but when a friend of mine took be along to Q-topia. I only ever went twice but it made me more comfortable with who I was. Thanks guys! If you're reading this and need that same reassurance i would suggest them http://qtopia.org.nz/. My point being it's not a choice it's just the way we are and i'm SICK of people telling me it's wrong. It's not.

The other thing that really gets me is men saying 'I don't like gay men but I like lesbians because I like to watch', Hey guys If you haven't noticed lesbians DON'T like men, they don't want you to watch, they are NOT doing it for your enjoyment. If thats not ignorance I don't know what is.




No comments:

Post a Comment